Saturday, March 25, 2006

Paterno's Spring Practice Comments

Spring Practice got underway this afternoon and Joe answered some questions afterwards. A complete transcript can be found here. A lot that was covered was old news, however, there were a few questions and answers which I found particularly interesting.

Talking about the personnel changes on offense and how that might affect the play calling and general scheme Joe said this:
“I don’t think we’re going to do a lot of things differently offensively. We’ll emphasize some things obviously. I don’t think Morelli would be the guy you’d want to count on running the ball as much as Michael Robinson. He’s not that kind of player but he can still run. We won’t change that much. We’re going into spring practice just like you guys. You guys all want to know what we’re going to do. I’ve got to watch. I’ve got to see some people. I’ve got to get a feel for some different guys at different positions. I think Morelli’s got a chance to be a really good quarterback. Spring practice is a fun time for us because we don’t have to get ready for somebody next week. “

Joe was also asked about the possibility of using a 3-4 Defense, Which I think could be very, very, cool.
“We’ll probably experiment with a lot of things. That’s what’s fun about spring practice…go in there all half-cocked in the morning and say, ‘Let’s try this.’ You don’t have to worry about it if I’m all screwed up, that it’s going to affect us two days from now. We’ll horse around a little…

Oh Joe, could you give a more elusive answer? Spring practices should be awesome! But I can't wait for the fall!

No comments: