Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Vitriol (or the lack thereof)

I'm trying to work up a good hatred for Tennessee but it is tough to do. Last year Penn State squared off against F$U, all that is wrong with college football, it truly was, and always will be, a battle of Good vs. Evil. With Penn State facing the Volunteers there just isn't the same amount of hatred. Tennessee is a fine program with a storied history but there just hasn't been enough meetings between the two teams or valid reasons to hate each other or to truly get fired up for the game. Don't get me wrong, I still want PSU to win (preferably by 20+). However, I just can't find a valid reason to hate Tennessee. If someone could provide me with that reason it would go a long way to whip me up into a lather.

GO STATE! BEAT THE VOLUNTEERS!

(the above statement is subject to change)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JB - As a Florida Gator fan, I can give you thousands of reasons to hate the Vols, but I know how you feel: I don't really hate the Buckeyes, as the Gators have never even played them. Here are some of my choice reasons for Vol Hatred: 1.) "Rockytop Tennessee" is at once an annoying and evily-cathcy tune. They will play this about 1,000 times.
2.)They have a "Vol Navy". What the hell? Tennessee is landlocked you stupid rednecks.
3.) Phillip Fulmer is a fat slob better suited to out-eating the opposing team than out-coaching them.
4.) They come with throngs of redneck fans, decked out in various types of camo gear or nascar t-shirts. This should offend the Yankee in you.
5.) Of course, the #1 reason I hate them is because they are our bitter rivals, and sometimes they beat us. So, while this does not matter to you, you should hate them because they are trying to hand JoePa and the beloved Lions a New Year's Day loss, and that my friend, is unacceptable.

JB said...

Those seem like valid reasons not to like the Vols. Now i'm all fired up!
Thanks Mike!

GO STATE! BEAT THE VOLUNTEERS!

Galen said...

If you hate them for no other reason hate them for Phillip Fulmer. They guy makes Bobby Bowden look like a chior boy. Fulmer sold out Alabama to keep the NCAA off Tennessee's ass.