Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm Back and so is the Penn State News!

Please excuse my recent hiatus as i have taken the plunge and now there is a Mrs. Glory of Old State. However, after a wonderful wedding and honeymoon I'm now back to work both in the office and on the web.
Spring practice is back underway. I, for one, could not be happier (I'm sure I'm not alone). The kids were back on the field (no pads),
and Joe is back giving press conferences. You might as well enjoy it because it ain't gonna get any better for another five months.

As usual, Joe was both a wealth of information and a riddle wrapped in an enigma. You can find the entire transcript here, but I'll be giving my analysis below:









First, Joe's Health. The man is not only a legend, the face of the program, but also the future of the program.
Q: (basically) How's the knee?
I’m not doing as much as I’d like to do. I’m a little bit nervous to be frank with you. I’ve got to watch a couple of things, but I’ll get better as it goes along. I expect to be back in the fall. I’m anxious to try running a little bit. I haven’t done in any running. But, I think I’m coming a long pretty well. The knee actually isn’t my problem. The other leg, the one I banged up a year ago when I broke the ribs, is really bothering me more than the knee. I think I’m going to be OK...I’m going to be on the sideline. I’d be really disappointed if I’m not. I’m sure the kids won’t be (laughter).”

Everything seems great. Joe is off the walker and getting ready to run! I mean the old guy is 80 years old and soon he will be seen JOGGING around State College! Also, Joe is going to be back on the sidelines in the fall. All things are right with the universe, Joe will be back prowling the sidelines!

Second, the tailback position, where are we going there?

Q: (basically) What is the deal with Austin Scott?
“He’s OK. He did a great job on the foreign team last year when we decided to keep him out. He’s got to do it this year for himself and I think he will. He’s worked very hard in the winter program and I think he’ll be OK. I think we’ve got some kids that can play. (Austin) Scott’s got a chance to be a good running back and I think (Rodney) Kinlaw just needs a little more poise. And I want to see the others.”

Ok, so Austin is working hard and doing ok, but there are some other kids who can play also (a Joe classic!) Essentially, Joe spat out a complete paragraph and managed to say absolutely nothing about who will replace Tony Hunt. While this is PSU's most pressing need (on top of a defensive line). In essence, it could be Scott, or Kinlaw, or possibly somebody else. Very illuminating.

Q: Any serious injuries for any of the players?
“(Kevin) Cousins won’t be able to go this spring. He sprained a knee. (Tom) McEowen did earlier (knee injury). So, those two guys will not be out there.”

Cousins is a Sophomore WR with four years of eligibility left. While he holds promise at 6'3" and a little of 205 Lbs he won't be missed in a very deep receiving corps. The possible bigger loss is Tom McEowen, a true freshman DT. While both players suffered knee injuries neither seem to be serious. The loss of McEowen will probably be the greater of the two given PSU's need on the defensive line.

Q: (Basically) Pat Devlin...what gives?
“We’re going to try and give him a chance to show us what he can do. That depends on…you can’t program your spring practice for one guy. I’ve got a whole mess of guys out there that are pretty good football players that are all waiting for enough chances to play. We’re not going to program anything to give Devlin a little better opportunity…(Paul) Cianciolo’s waited his turn, (Daryll) Clark’s waited his turn…I think we have to go out every day and give everybody a shot and go from there.”
I would interpret this to mean: don't expect Pat to get get snaps in practice this year, and don't expect him to play next year...maybe. I just hope that Pat gets an opportunity to win a starting spot on the team. I'm not saying he should start this year or even next year but, for the the love of God, protect his eligibility so he has 2+ years left (at least) when he finally starts.

I think those were the tastiest bits of Joe's press conference. It's good to be back but even better to have some real PSU news to talk about!

GO STATE! PRACTICE HARD!

No comments: